The grand thing about cooking is you can eat your mistakes. -Julia Child

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Oatmeal Everything Cookies

Have you seen those TV show themed cookbooks?  Like The Sopranos Family Cookbook or...okay, that's the only one I could name.  Until today.  Apparently there is a Star Wars cookbook.  Its feature recipe?  Wookiee cookies.

I'd never be one to take a TV-themed cookbook seriously.  But today's recipe originated with that Wookiee cookies recipe.  An adaptation of the recipe appeared on a forum I was browsing and jumped out at me as having potential.  I, in turn, modified it for my taste and was very pleased with the results.  I used whole wheat flour and made it more of an oatmeal cookie than what it was originally (a double chocolate chip cookie). 
I chose to use a combination of the chips that I had on hand - white chips, peanut butter chips, and semi-sweet chocolate chips.  This is why I call them Oatmeal Everything Cookies - I threw everything I had on hand in them and it worked.  Feel free to do the same when you make them; add raisins, shredded coconut, whatever strikes your fancy.  I will say I was quite happy with my assortment of chips, as each bite had a slightly different taste depending on which chips you got.  Note also that this cookie has a respectable amount of cinnamon in it.  I think this really is what gives the cookie its standout flavor.  It doesn't scream cinnamon, but gives the cookie a bit more of a complex flavor than you usual sugar/flour/oat combination does.

Oatmeal Everything Cookies
Printable Version

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour (4 ounces by weight)
1 cup whole-wheat flour (4 1/4 ounces)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, 1/2 cup white chips, and 1/2 cup chocolate chips (or 2 cups of any other add-in you desire)



Method:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment.
Mix together flours, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
Cream butter and sugars until fluffy.  Add eggs and vanilla extract and stir until combined.
Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl and continue stirring until well blended.  Stir in the oats.  Fold in the chips.
Scoop dough into balls about the size of a heaping tablespoon.  Place on a baking sheet with at least two inches between each cookie.
Bake for approximately 9 minutes or until cookie appears set.  Let cool on baking sheet for at least a minute, then move to cooling rack.

Verdict?  Surprisingly wonderful.  I think you'll really enjoy them.  The cookie has the ideal consistency (in my eyes) - crisp edges, chewy center.  And this cookie holds up well for several days - if stored in an airtight container they should be good for a week. 

One note - you want to bake the cookies until the tops stop looking doughy and the edges look firmly set.  Handle the cookies gently when they're still warm as they're quite crumbly then.  But once they've cooled down to room temperature they handle much better.  I know it is hard to not sample your cookies warm; I just wanted to warn you so you won't be alarmed when that warm cookie falls apart in your hand after stealing it from the cooling rack early!

1 comments:

test it comm said...

Those cookies look really good!

Post a Comment